Batman is an upcoming American superhero film under the development of Darren Aronofsky, David S. Goyer, Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan. Based on the DC Comics character Batman, the film will star Jon Hamm, Brooke Burns, Thomas Jane, Guy Pearce, Christopher Plummer and William Hurt as Bruce Wayne / Batman, Vicki Vale, Slade Wilson / Deathstroke, Roman Sionis / Black Mask, Alfred Pennyworth and James Gordon.
Darren Aronofsky stated that the film will be the first in a "landmark series that will be etched in stone as THE most recognized Batman saga" as the films will be "95% faithful to the comics". Darren followed up with a report that the film will follow some aspects of the Year One storyline. The film is still in its pre-production stages and there will possibly be a late-2016 release.
- Jon Hamm as Bruce Wayne / Batman, a billionaire playboy who lost his parents at age 8. When growing up, he intends on stopping crime in Gotham by becoming the caped crusader, the batman.
- julia roberts as Vicki Vale, a gorgeous journalist and Bruce Wayne's love interest.
- bill murray as Slade Wilson / Deathstroke, a brutal assassin-for-hire working hand in hand with Roman Sionis.
- Guy Pearce as Roman Sionis / Black Mask, a corporate businessman who develops a hatred for Bruce Wayne and pursues a career of crime as the Black Mask.
- Christopher Plummer as Alfred Pennyworth, the esteemed and loyal butler/assistant to Bruce Wayne.
- William Hurt as James Gordon, a police lieutenant who becomes one of Batman's closest allies.
- Michael C. Hall as Thomas Elliot, a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne who becomes the most respected surgeon of Gotham City.
- Ioan Gruffudd as Thomas Wayne, the father of Bruce Wayne.
- Jessica Hynes as Martha Wayne, the mother of Bruce Wayne.
- Danny John-Jules as Lucius Fox, an industrialist who allies himself with Batman and assists him in making his gadgets and technology.
- Michael Madsen as Harvey Bullock, a crooked detective and partner of James Gordon.
- Brian Cox as Rupert Thorne, one of Gotham's most notorious mob bosses.
- Mark Strong as Warren White / The Great White Shark, a criminal under the commands of Roman Sionis.
- Kevin Grevioux as Waylon "Killer Croc" Jones, a brutal gangster who also works for Roman Sionis.
Initial ideas for the film came up roughly several months after The Dark Knight Rises. Darren Aronofsky stated that he and Christopher Nolan spent a day talking about the future of Batman and whether or not it should be left alone. Nolan reportedly commented that "his plans for Batman are over" and that the choice is up to Darren's. In the end, Arnonofsky decided to push for a reboot of the Batman saga, this time, making it a goal to make the film an "etched-in-stone blockbuster hit". Darren met with Jeff Robinov to discuss plans for the film, and Jeff was happily surprised by Darren's ideas, and immediately gave Darren a thumbs up.
Darren began writing the story for Batman on December 22, 2012. After roughly three weeks, Darren announced that he had finished the story and met with Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas. Nolan reportedly stated that he wanted to co-produce the film, and Darren agreed. Emma also joined the film as main producer while David S. Goyer was chosen to write the screenplay along with Aronofsky. Darren and David both began writing the screenplay and it took them about five weeks to fully finish it. Meanwhile, Nolan and Thomas met with composer Hans Zimmer to discuss the developing film. Zimmer reportedly asked if he could join the project and Nolan happily agreed.
Darren released a statement on February 27th, 2013 which ultimately revealed that the Joker is not the main villain. He then added that the villains "are characters you haven't seen yet in a film". Darren later said that the villains were Black Mask and Deathstroke. One week after, initial development began, which lasted for about one year.
Darren stated that the film will not be in 3-D. Filming commenced on March 6th, 2016 in Philadelphia, United States. Filming lasted for about 20 weeks.
The official website was created on September 25th, 2013. On the website, a marketing campaign known as "Who Is The Batman?" was created, allowing participants to complete "tasks" that will reveal new info about the film everytime they are finished. The tasks involved posting the link to websites such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, creating investigative reports about Batman and uploading them to the site and simply commenting on the film's Twitter page. The first reward was the official teaser poster, which showed Batman standing on a building looking out at Gotham City.
The film will follow Bruce Wayne as he rises to heroism and becomes a crime-fighting hero.
- Jon Hamm officially announced his role as Batman on The Late Show with David Letterman.
- William Hurt was chosen to play James Gordon after Darren Aronofsky saw his performance in Moby Dick.
- The Batman symbol bears a striking resemblance to the Animated Series logo.
- Jon Hamm took five different martial arts classes in preparation for the film.
- There will reportedly be three different suits that Batman will wear in the movie.
- The Joker was rumored to be the villain until Aronofsky stated that Black Mask and Deathstroke were the antagonists.
- Kevin Grevioux gained 20 pounds of muscle for his role as Waylon Jones.