Flowers By Irene is a 1995 American Tragedy film classic written and directed by Gus Van Sant.
|Flowers By Irene|
|Directed by||Gus Van Sant|
|Produced by||Laurie Parker|
|Screenplay by||Gus Van Sant|
|Narrated by||Paddy Considine|
|Music by||Bill Stafford|
John J. Campbell,
Eric Alan Edwards
|Editing by||Curtiss Clayton|
|Distributed by||Fine Line Features|
|Release date(s)||November 4th, 1995|
|Running time||112 minutes|
The film is dedicated to deceased actor/singer River Phoenix whom worked with the writer/director of the film on his previous classic My Own Private Idaho and worked alongside Flowers By actor Corey Feldman on the 1986 coming of age classic film Stand By Me.
The film stars Brad Pitt, Corey Feldman, Mandy Moore, Hilary Swank, Natasha Henstridge, Ed Helms, Paddy Considine, Chad Lowe and features Bette Midler.
The film though seen through the perspective of Brad Pitt's character is narratted by a minor character Storyteller Samuel portrayed by Paddy Considine.
A man must collect his younger extremely autistic brother and transport him to Middleburg, Virginia for their elderley foster mother's funeral.
The man runs into trouble along the way due to his somewhat uncontrollable yet fiercley loyal autistic brother and struggles along with the painful divorce with the woman he loved and preparation for the custody battle he will take for his three dysfunctional children.
Following the actual funeral which the two brothers consequently make it to the man reconnects with his ex-wife and the two come back together fixing their family.
A College student of whom the autistic brother had consumates a brief road relationship with comes to himand states that she would like to be with him regardless of what by logic is right and wrong.
However as the man messages his brother informing of the family's fixing and him getting back with his love he suffers a fatal hypo attack which resultes in him having a violent epileptic fit leaving him without a pulse.
What follows is the college woman lover of whom had been through a many tough transitions in life falls for a normal man and has a child with him over the course of time.
The brother however whom has problems involving loss and emotions becomes angry and distant towards his family.
His daughter brings it forth with him and a loud angry argument ensues which almost results in her being hit by her father.
He realizes the damage he is doing to his family and comes to the conclusion that they're better off without him.
He tells his daughter to tell mommy to call the police.
As it is done when she comes home the police find him in the empty room upstairs hanging.
- Brad Pitt as Rhys Beckett
- Corey Feldman as Brett Beckett
- Mandy Moore as Ashley Beckett
- Hilary Swank as Nancy Simonsen
- Chad Lowe as Michael Beckett
- Jonathen Lipnicki as Simon Beckett
- Jennifer Lawrence as Claire Beckett
- Bette Midler as Irene Beckett
- Giovanni Ribisi as Lance Dunkle
- Maggie Siff as Dead Diane Waker
- Grace Park as Gertrude Gabadle
- Ed Helms as Officer Truman Oporn
- Stephen Merchant as Officer Waxer Bentpark
- Natasha Henstridge as Sheriff Bianca Hallbert
- Fairuza Balk as the Hitchhiker
- Misha Collins as Crazed Eddie
- Jeff Cohen as Bad Bag Barry
- Paddy Considine as Storyteller Samuel
- Kathy Bates as Rina Hormorken/ Rhys and Brett's biological trailer trash cocaine addicted mother
- Phil Hartman as Gavin Hormorken/ Rhys and Brett's biological trailer trash cocaine addicted father
- Tough Girl- Martine
- Get Together- Big Mountain (First song played at Irene's funeral)
- Fake Plastic Trees- Radiohead
- (I Wanna Take) Forever Tonight- Peter Cetera
- Ode to my Family- The Cranberries (Second song played at Irene's funeral)
- Weezer- Buddy Holly
- Another Night- Real McCoy
- I'll Be There For You- The Remembrants (Third song played at Irene's funeral)
- Lemon Tree- Fool's Garden
- Wild Night- John Mellencamp & Me'Shell Ndegocella (End Credits the car sequence song)
- On The Good Ship Lollipop- Shirley Temple (Played and sung by Brad Pitt and Corey Feldman as it is a song that can calm down the character Brett during a rising hypo.)
- The Candy Man Can- Aubrey Woods (Played and sung as Corey Feldman's character Brett's favourite film is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
- The Worry Song- Gene Kelly (Played and sung as Brad Pitt confesses to Corey Feldman his favourite film was Anchors Aweigh (1945)
- Dream of You- Dream (Another song played on Rhys Beckett's Red Impala radio
- Good Morning- Dream (Final song played at Irene's Funeral)