|President of the United States|
|Affiliation||Central Intelligence Agency, U.S. Government|
James R. Leland was the 45th President of the United States and the former governor of Washington. He served for two years until his untimely death in 2014.
Not much is known about Leland other than he was born in Seattle, Washington and was a governor there for two years until he decided to run for office. According to agent Gavin Mercer, most of his personal information is classified for unknown reasons.
On January 28th, 2014, President Leland was addressing the nation about the communist situation in Russia, and that the country has joined together with four more countries to create a coalition to fight against their enemies. As Leland was giving his speech, a Russian sleeper agent was about 97 yards away, hiding in an empty building, waiting to snipe the President. Once the Russian got a clear shot, he fired at Leland, hitting him in the chest. The sniper also managed to kill Vice President Gates by firing a round into his head. Most of the other cabinet members managed to escape, but Leland bled out and died. This proved that Russia was now a threat to the United States.
- Leland is the only supporting character scripted to die in a DLC mission.
- Leland was originally supposed to be playable, but the developers decided against it for reasons unknown.
- Leland was apparently good friends with agent Gavin Mercer.
- The Coalition Wars began a day after Leland's death.
- Leland is the sixth President to be assassinated. (According to the game)