Karnage 6 is a New Zealand punk/rap metal band formed in Wellington, New Zealand, in 2001. The band consists of Jery Kautoa-Smith on vocals, Trent Cassidy (brother of Adriana Cassidy) on guitar, DJ Hektik on turntables, Mikey DD on drums, Hector Rautoroa on rhythm guitar and Freddy Johannson on bass. The band have toured globally and have released four albums since 2002.
Formation and early years
Trent Cassidy, who was twenty three at the time, moved to Wellington in 2000 to live, after the desolution of his first band, the Melbourne based Sylos. While in Wellington he met half-Maori singer Jery Kautoa-Smith, and expressed interest in joining Smith's minor project, called Carnage. The two original envisioned a mainstream metal sound, he and Smith decided to head in a punk metal direction. They recruited the band's first DJ, DJ Shade (Shadei Michael-Kauhlea), who was also Smith's cousin, and then recruited drummer Mikey DD (Michael Devons), rhythm guitarist Kristo Christopherson, and bassist Freddy Johannson in the spring of 2001. The band was then renamed Karnage 6.
Punk Never Dies (2002)
The lineup (Smith, Cassidy, Devons, Johannson, Kauhlea, and Christopherson) recorded their first album in 2002, Punk Never Dies. It was praised locally, and the band were fortunate enough to headline a few of Linkin Park's New Zealand sows in 2003. Shortly after, DJ Shadei and Kristo Christopherson departed Karnage 6 to pursue other venues, and were replaced by brothers Lucca and Hector Rautoroa, with Lucca aka DJ Hektik on turntables et cetera and Hector on guitar.
We Are Karnage 6
- Punk Never Dies (2002)
- We Are Karnage 6 (2004)
- The Fundamental (2006)
- Straight Out of Hell (2008)
- 666 (2010)
- Jery Kautoa-Smith - vocals (2001-present)
- Trent Cassidy - guitar (2001-present)
- DJ Hektik (Lucca Rautoroa) - turntables, programming, rapping vocals (2003-present)
- Mikey DD (Michael Devons) - drums, percusion (2001-present)
- Hector Rautoroa - rhythm guitar (2003-present)
- Freddy Johannson - bass (2001-present)
- DJ Shade (Shadei Michael-Kauhlea) - turntables, programming (2001-2003)
- Kristo Christopherson - rhythm guitar (2001-2003)