| Patria was nominated for an award at the 2016 Fanon Wiki Awards!|
This page, Patria didn't win an award at the 2016 Fanon Wiki Awards, but was nominated! Although it was a runner-up, this page is worthy of recognition. Also check out the 2016 Fanon Wiki Awards and its hosts, Chris6d and J23odi.
Award: Best location article
The owner of this page is SkyGuy. According to policy, no other user, with the exception of admins, may edit this page without the owner's permission. If they do, they will be blocked.
The Surface Continents Edit
Northern Hemisphere Edit
The northwestern continent of Patria; modeled after Medieval and Renaissance Europe.
The north-central continent of Patria; has the most republics than any other continent. Mostly resembles parts of Europe and Asia. Most of the south and southeast is modeled after the Middle-East.
The northeastern continent of Patria. Mostly modeled after East-Asia.
Southern Hemisphere Edit
The southwestern continent of Patria; modeled after Pre-Colombian cultures of the Americas.
The south-central continent of Patira; modeled after India.
Patira's southeastern ocean, and the largest ocean on Patria; modeled after Oceania.
Other lands Edit
Artica is the northernmost continent of Patria
The Aerial Continents EditGrand Line over the course of one full Patrian Year. Homeland of one of the seven Lunaculi.
- Main article: Races of Patria
Magic on Patria exists in three forms; Some beings draw magic from within themselves, while others draw it from one of two outside sources: the very air of Patria, or from concentrated intangible river-like reservoirs called Ley Lines. The latter is most common. Magic in general is neither good nor evil, what matters is the hearts and intentions of those who use it.
The ability to use magic is often tied to emotions. As such, most magic-users train themselves to control their emotions; as running wild and out of control can have serious repercussions to both the user and bystanders.
Those sensitive to magic can manipulate it and do a variety of feats.
Alchemy is a branch of magic and an ancient science concerned with the study of the four basic elements, as well as the study of the transmutation of substances; it is thus intimately connected with potion-making, chemistry and transformation magic. Alchemy also concerns philosophy; alchemical literature is dominated by mystical and metaphysical speculation.
The science dates back to the first Lunaculi, and remains actively studying and practiced in the 26th century.
The practice of alchemy is also essential to the creation of the immensely sharp and indestructible alloy known as Zedylrian Steel.
Spagyric (plant alchemy) is a less well-known branch of Alchemy and the name given to the production of herbal medicines using alchemical procedures.
Inscribed in ancient tomes, Celestial Force, also known as the Heavenly Force, Sacred Magic, or Magic of the Gods, is a type of magic centered around divinity. Practitioners of Celestial Force, normally angels and humans, utilize the powers of heaven. Devout religious believers often assume that Celestial Force is holy; for this reason, Celestial Force is commonly believed to be purely good magic, but it comes in many "colors" and can be used for evil. Celestial Force is not race or religion specific; Even vampires can use Celestial Force with enough training.
Chi magic, involves chanting complicated spells, and using one's own "Chi", the natural magical energy in their bodies, to perform magic of various kinds. Elves are particularly proficient in this type of magic, but other races have mastered the craft as well.
Dark Magic Edit
While looked down upon by most civil society, the practice Dark Magic, aka the Dark Arts, is not uncommon. Dark magic is not automatically "Evil Magic", as it simply refers to the use of minor jinxes, hexes or curses.
Only when Dark Magic is the used for selfish gain or ill will does it become evil; and those who use the Dark Arts for evil, particularly powerful Dark Sorcerers, are known for causing death and destruction wherever they go. Using Dark Magic this way is generally outlawed by most societies.
Demonic Magic Edit
This magic utilizes the terrifying powers of darkness and hell wielded by solely demons. Like all magic, it is accumulated both from within and by an outside source; but unlike other magic, which usually requires users control their emotions, Demonic Magic uses the power of negative emotions like fear and sorrow, becoming more powerful as the negative feelings mount. Depending on the user, this magic can be overwhelming against any magics, including it's polar opposite, Sacred Magic. However, like all magic, it isn't evil in of itself.
Fairy Magic Edit
Fairy Magic involves chanting complicated spells without interruption. Most spells can be used by all fairy races, but certain spells can only be used by certain races.
Kalahese magic involves the manipulation of the three Kalahese elements, Sand, Fire and Glass. This art was first invented by the mystics of the ancient Kalahese Empire, and is now primarily used by Southeastern Aquilonians.
Witchcraft and Wizardry Edit
From charms to jinxes to curses, witchcraft and wizardry is the most common form of magic on Patria, but is primarily found in Eurodon and parts of Aquilonis. It involves channeling magic through tools such as wands and casting incantations.
Wandlore is an ancient, complex, and mysterious branch of magic dealing with the history, abilities, and actions of wands, quasi-sentient magical tools used by wizards and witches to cast spells.
- Main article: Religion on Patria
Terminology & ConceptsEdit
Elementalism is the manipulation of the five elements: Fire, Air, Water, Earth and, to a rare extant, Energy. Practitioners are called Elementalists or Elementeers, the actual action is called Elementeering, and each individual practice is given the suffix "-teering". A couple of sub-techniques also given the same suffix. Largely hereditary, most Patrians lucky enough to have this gift can usually only manipulate one or two elements, and only a few others are able to manipulate three or more; Those who can use all five are extremely rare.
Elementeers are most common in Eastern Aquilonis and throughout in Ingodija, but is also seen in parts of the other lands; Alfheim is the sole exception.
- Bloodteering: Bloodteering is a sub-skill within waterteering, recognized as the darkest and deadliest of all specialized techniques. The practice of bloodteering essentially allows a user to manipulate the water inside another body, allowing control over a victim's individual movements. Due to being such a dark art, the practice is outlawed in most Patrian societies.
- Healing: Healing is a special ability possessed by some waterteers that enables them to heal those who have been wounded, including themselves. This is accomplished by drawing upon the life-giving properties of water, which are used to heal numerous types of physical wounds and illnesses. Healing can also alleviate certain types of stress caused by mental strain. Though the technique is effective in many contexts, it is limited in scope. For example, healing is ineffective in treating birth defects, such as blindness or random complications associated with birth. In most instances, healing is also ineffectual when treating scars or fatal injuries.
- Spirit-teering: Spirit-teering is a variation of the healing technique which allows the user to instill a balance or an imbalance within spirits. To perform the technique, a waterteer encircles the spirit with a thin stream of water, which begins to glow when the technique is taking effect. When used to change a spirit's negative energy into positive energy, the water, followed by the spirit, will begin to glow a golden light, at which point the spirit dissipates or assumes a pacified form. When the technique is used to change positive energy into negative energy, the water and spirit emanate a purple light. When used against humans, this variation has the potential to destroy their souls.
- Lavateering: Lavateering is rare ability allows the bender to phase-change earth into lava, lava into earth, and otherwise manipulate existing lava with great dexterity.
- Seismic sense: Seismic sense is the unique ability to perceive an environment by feeling acute vibrations through the ground. Similar to sonar and echolocation, seismic sense enables the practitioner to detect earthen objects and objects in contact with earth when out of sight. The technique provides a specific map of the user's surroundings, detailed enough so a blind person can navigate effortlessly. It can also be used to detect when someone is lying by feeling their heart and breathing rates through the earth.
- Lightning generation: Lightning generation is a sub-skill of fireteering that allows a fireteer to produce and guide a bolt of lightning from their fingertips. Physically, generating lightning involves a circular motion with the arms. Mentally, it involves a complete absence of emotion as well as peace of mind, thus allowing an individual to separate the energies of yin and yang, also interpreted as positive and negative electrical potential, respectively. When the forces collide, the bender guides rather than controls the lightning's direction. This process is taxing on a bender's chi reserves, due to its complexity. Lightning attacks usually take much longer time to initiate than standard fire attacks.
- Lightning redirection: Lightning redirection is a sub-skill of fireteering that allows a fireteer to absorb lightning into their body as energy and release it in a more desirable direction. The technique was developed by fireteers after studying master waterteers redirecting force rather than opposing it head-on. Lightning redirection works equally well for both natural and generated lightning.
- Flight: Flight is a complex and extremely rare skill that has been demonstrated by very few airteers. It was such a unique ability, that it was believed to only exist in legends. It is achievable through a complete denouncement of all earthly desires, which results in true freedom. The principle behind flight is to become one with the wind, mimicking its freedom from limitations and inhibitions, in both the physical and mental sense. Once an airteer has embraced these principles, they can fly and hover. However, the bender is still at the mercy of the surrounding environment.
The Lunaculi (sing. Lunaculus) are a group of people native to one of each of the seven great continents. They are the seven who, through existence alone, maintain balance between good and evil. They are easily identifiable by their unique heterochromatic eyes (crimson in the right and blue in the left) like the twin moons of Patria. There are always seven, no more no less, continuously reincarnated when one dies.
Vermiculus & HyacinthoEditPatria has two moons, Vermiculus (the red moon) and Hyacintho (the blue moon). Named for a demon and an angel who, according to myth, were the fathers of Xyliana and Tallulah respectively. Hyacintho is the more further away of the two and is always observed to Vermiculus' right. As such, its phases are a few days behind Vermiculus.
From Serfdom to outright labor, slavery is a common practice throughout Patria. Only a few handful of nations have either outlawed it or made efforts to. Otherwise, it is a common sight across Patria. Slavery on Patria has no racial boundaries, so it is not uncommon to one race owning a slave of another race.
The idea of Republicanism is not a new concept to Patria; Regardless, the majority of countries on Patria are monarchical and only a handful of nations have, fully or partially, implemented Republicanism as their form of government. Most notably is in northern Aquilonis, where the former Solona Federation was before it collapsed following the Solona Revolutionary Wars.
The Grand Line is the Equator of Patria. It is one hundred miles in width and has the strongest currents anywhere on Patira. The currents are so strong that even the sailors with the best of skill can't cut through them without being swept off course by several nautical miles. Fortunately, at regular intervals along the Grand Line there are a pair of currents that flow north and south independently of the Grand Line's currents. It's using these currents that make safe passage and maritime trade between the northern and southern hemispheres even possible. The main currents always flow from west to east, and their strength makes many believe that they are what drags Alfheim along as it flies across the world over the year.
Dragon Slaying & Dragon TamingEdit
Dragon Slaying was an ancient "sport". It was originally believed that slaying a dragon was a glorious achievement, and made one legendary for being able to conquer one of the most powerful beasts in the world, since at the time they were believed to be nothing more than ferocious mindless monsters.
However, when a certain young girl, known to Patrian history as Minerva Eurodon, the first Lunaculus of Eurodon, became lost in a mountain range, she came across a dragon. Though she was afraid of it at first, she soon realized that the beast's wing and rear leg was injured from an attack by a dragon slayer, and was in no condition to attack her (though it tried but was unable to breath fire). Minerva, taking pity on the creature, instead nursed it back to health, even stealing meat from a nearby village to feed it. Eventually, the dragon, which she named Draco, was able to move on it's own again and did something most unusual: He allowed Minerva to climb on his back, allowing her to experience the dragon's flight. Because of her frequent visits and kindness, Draco had grown to trust her, even care for her. Minerva had become the first person in the world to tame a dragon and earn it's companionship. And the two remained companions for the rest of their days, and fought together with the rest of the Lunaculi during the war against the Dark Lord.
Minerva and Draco's story soon sparked the realization that dragons could be their friends, and soon people all over Patria were taming dragons, for the use of military and labor, but most importantly: companionship.
Dragon Slaying in general was soon outlawed in many parts of the world, but there are still people hunting and killing dragons.
Communication over vast distances has always been a problem across Patria.
The most common methods are couriers or birds, which can take days or weeks to get information to it's destination.
The more recent magical inventions of "Magic Mirrors" and "Crystal Balls" has made communication across distances instantaneous, allowing two or more people in separate locations to converse in real-time; Unfortunately, due to being relatively recent discoveries, they're not very common, making them rare sights.
A half-breed is the offspring between two different races. It is not uncommon to find half-breeds produced from the mating between two different races as a result of societal coexistence. The most common half-breeds in Patira are between Humans and another race; However, since the majority of Patria's sentient beings value racial purity, half-breeds are often looked down upon by most societies. Only a handful of places on Patria don't discriminate between pure-bloods and half-breeds, particularly where two or more races have lived and coexisted for generations.
While looked down upon by most civil societies of Patria, Piracy is still a common occurrence. Most pirates operate in secret, but others take to privateering during wartime for a legal excuse to raid ships for profit.
The most famous and influential pirates of Patria are the Cooper Pirates. Operating worldwide with thousands ships for more than a millennium, they are known for their honor, chivalry, peerlessness, and are willing to do any deed for any nation, so long they pay and its honorable. They are not discriminate, and are more than willing to let anyone join. As a result, they are complete with people and races from all over the world. While not on a job, they most usually go after rival pirates rather than raid civilian and commercial ships and coastal towns, and are always willing to aid those in distress. Hence their nickname "The Chivalrous Pirates".
The ability of flight is not new anywhere on Patria. Flight comes natural to all Patrian fairies, and riding flying beasts isn't new either, but riding on broomsticks and magic carpets is relatively new. The most recent flight development is flying ships called airships, made by adding flight magic to ordinary seafaring vessels. The only nation on Patria to truly master flight without magic or beast riding is the Koatl Empire in southern Necrosia, but their xenophobic nature and strict secrecy makes it all but impossible for outside nations to even begin to understand how.
The Spirit WorldEdit
The Spirit World, sometimes known as the Land of the Dead or the Astral World, is the land where spirits live separate from the living world. Spirits have lived there since the beginning of everything.
Adam and EveEdit
The first Human man and woman. They were banished from Eden for eating the forbidden Fruit of Knowledge. Legends say that direct descendants of them possess a unique sense.
Oberon and TitaniaEdit
The first fairies of Patria, and the King and Queen of all fairies, these two have ruled over the ten fairy races of Patria, and Alfheim, since the time of Adam and Eve.
The Underworld, also known as Hades, Hell, Purgatory, Tartarus etc., is the uncharted subterranean world beneath Patria's surface. The underworld is where the darkest of dark creatures reside and only the bravest of souls dare to enter. It is supposedly the homeland of the Dark Lord that threatened Patria before the Lunaculi defeated him, and it is hence said to be the place he was banished afterwards. Whether it is fact or fiction is still unknown. The capital of the Underworld is known to all as Tenebrae, but its exact location in the Underworld is a complete mystery.
GatesEditGates are a means of long distance travel in a short period of time. Gates are easily recognized by the stone mosaic with four short pillars in front of it. Gates can be used to travel between continents, and from one end of a continent to the other, in short periods if traveling lightly, but they can only be used to travel to another gate, not a random location. Gates also require a Gatekeeper to be used. Gatekeepers, as the name suggests, are the Gate's operators and send travelers from one gate to another, usually for a fee. If a Gate has no Gatekeeper, the Gate is useless.
Zedylrian Steel Edit
- Main article: Zedylrian Steel
- Main article: Patrian Military Orders
The Patrian Calendar, also known as the Soramese Calendar, was first adopted at least five thousand years after the lifetime of the first seven Lunaculi. Created by Soramese astronomers just a few years prior to the reign of Soram I, founder of the Kingdom of Soram, an ancient nation once resting in southern Eurodon.
The years originally started counting upon adoption, upon the official inauguration of the Kingdom of Soram, marking the first year as 0 YS (Year of Soram), making years prior YBS (Years Before Soram). But since the Fall of Soram, the calendar was revised and the epochs were renamed; BFS (Before Fall of Soram) and AFS (After Fall of Soram), and thus societies everywhere began recounting years from scratch from that year, marking it as 0 AFS. The most accurate of any previous calendar, this calendar was at first only used by the Soramese Kingdom, but has since been adopted by the majority of Patria. Even while the Kingdom of Soram has ceased to exist, it remains the most trusted calendar of Patria.
The Patrian year lasts 373 days. There are twelve months ranging from 30-32 days and weeks last for seven days.
- Lanayan, 31 days
- Haneyan, 30 days
- Trisca, 32 days
- Yuis, 30 days
- Windoni, 32 days
- Rasanova, 32 days
- Gopaco, 31 days
- Jesoran, 31 days
- Canagan, 30 days
- Opesagan, 31 days
- Nomagan, 32 days
- Lassagan, 31 days
Days of the week;Edit
Sample Calendar; Edit
- Main article: Languages of Patria
- Main article: Zedylrian Script
- Main article: Economics of Patria
- The Chronicles of Patria: The Silver Bat
- The Chronicles of Patria: The Secret of Soleil
- The Chronicles of Patria: Princess Isabella
Notes & TriviaEdit
- The current political maps of Patria are of the mid-26th century by the Patrian Calendar, after the conclusion of the Great Northern Aquilonis War and the Soleilian Civil War.
- Despite the apparent century, life on most Patria, particularly throughout most of Eurodon, and northern and parts of southeastern Aquilonis, mimics life in the Middle Ages.
- The age of gunpowder weapons is also only just barely starting to come into use and most nations have either yet to acquire it, or have simply rejected it outright, preferring to rely on the sword. Hence, matchlocks are the only type of firearms used on Patria, while primitive cannons are barely in use. The use of grenades is just becoming common practice as well.
- Despite the apparent century, life on most Patria, particularly throughout most of Eurodon, and northern and parts of southeastern Aquilonis, mimics life in the Middle Ages.
- "Patria" is the Latin word for homeland.