Sight Unseen is a 1999 American Teen Romantic Drama film written and directed by John Hughes.
|Directed by||John Hughes|
|Written by||John Hughes|
Chad Michael Murray
Benicio Del Toro
Pruitt Taylor Vince
|Music by||Keith Forsey|
|Editing by||Dede Allen|
|Distributed by||Universal Studios|
|Release date(s)||February 17, 1999|
|Running time||100 minutes|
It is the fourth and final of his Molly Ringwald Teen Love Story films and the first to be of not the 80's but rather the 90's and first to not feature Molly as the protagonist female character transgressing through the story's titular romance.
The film had been originally meant to be in the I Love The 80's teen film line-up as was meant to be made and released by 1989 however Hughes suffered due to scheduling conflicts but also suffered to the fear that should it be made in the following 90's decade it would not be as popular as it could be.
However then came the rising actor Leonardo Di Caprio, 90's songs which Hughes Came to love and the film began shooting in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Burkitsville, Indiana in the fall of 1998 finishing shooting by Summer 1999.
The film was released theatrically on May 20th 1999 and was well received by both critics and audiences (spanning from the teen market and above.)
The film received two Academy Award Nominations: 1. For Best Supporting Actress: Mandy Moore 2. Best Screenplay and actor Leonardo Di Caprio secured an Emmy Award for Best Actor as well as the Costume department of the film secured a Golden Globe for Best Wardrobe.
The film features Leonardo Di Caprio, Mandy Moore, Chad Michael Murray, Chris Pine, Benicio Del Toro, Giovanni Ribisi, Garrett Hedlund, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Amy Adams, Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek, Imelda Staunton, Dennis Quaid, Catherine O'Hara, Chris Noth, Michael Cera and James BeLushi.
At Remington Bridge High in the fictional town of Remington, Pasadena a reckless about to graduate high school senior bets all away his Harvard College Fund money in a poker game with some shady Remington Criminals whom are caught up in the plan to rob Remington's largest deposit bank.
The reckless Remington Senior whom must regain the same amount to even think of getting to Harvard creates a bet with Remington's richest senior that can't eliminate the already current Remington Prom Queen with a less attractive unpopular bomb girl.
He takes the bet and chooses poetry club propietor Alice Morway whom is a messy girl with large glasses fresh out of a horrible billy-carting accident with her grandfather which cost her grandfather's life and almost all movement in her neck.
She possesses large braces and struggles to speak at time sometimes suffering severe muscular contractions.
He thinks he had struck gold and believes that underneath all the offput is a beautiful girl trapped within an horrific scar that he can mend through his own means of plastic surgery.
Him and his obese friend (one possessing a large brain tumour which has the high chance of exploding and killing hkm should he sustain a solid amount of hits to the head region) start on trying to get the Poet Alice to fall for him but she shrugs them all off thinking she needs no-one else in the world apart from her less then rich father and ADHD hard to control brother.
He gets through and once her attraction to him begins a return one happens as well.
He falls for the object he is meant to simply clean up, take to the prom ensuring she takes the crown and wins his money back.
He experiences the first love of his life and all of a sudden the prospect of not getting to Harvard, disgracing his uptight high expecting Harvard Graduate Father seems nothing to him.
All he has and wants is the broken but inner beautiful deeply complicated Poet Alice Morway but how long will she remain also deeply in love once she discovers the love took off on the grounds of a bet.
- Leonardo Di Caprio as Sean Castlebrook
- Mandy Moore as Alice Morway
- Chad Michael Murray as Leslie Readerburton
- Chris Pine as Ethan Minderrson
- Benicio Del Toro as Thief Cavalier Turnaround
- Giovanni Ribisi as Thief Lexington Park
- Garrett Hedlund as Obsessed Bestfriend James "Jimmy" Cookes
- Pruitt Taylor Vince as Preston Gammells
- Amy Adams as Albino Guitarist Guru Susan Trestlebrough
- Amanda Detmer as Jennifer Cummings
- Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek as the Fertilli Twins Carla and Narla
- Imelda Staunton as Hunchbacked Library Stacker Kelli Ibderdos
- Molly Ringwald as the long lost love of Cavalier Stewardess Katie Renos
- Dennis Quaid as Wayne Castlebrook
- Catherine O'Hara as Rita Castlebrook
- Chris Noth as Coach Geck Dimos
- Michael Cera as Billy Morway
- James BeLushi as Pott Morway
- Zachary Levi as Apprentice Star Gavin Pryce
- Matthew Gray Gubler as Gavin's Bestfriend Mitchell "Mitch" Jackal
- Ben Savage as Darcy Token
- Wilmer Valderrama as Frederos "Fred" Office
- April Bowlby as Remington's Most Popular Female Student, The Former Prom Queen 1998 Cassandra Gillies
- Matthew Lawrence as Samuel "Sammy" Gordon
- Oscar Isaac as Ethan's Bestfriend Corky Mindol
- T.I as The Sound Karkleman
- Tyrese Gibson as Lukas Kassedelrock
- Matthew Long as Dead Player Wallace Yerns
- Dough Hutchison as Peter Yerns
- Jennifer Grey as Lily Yerns
- Every Morning- Sugar Ray (Song played at the prom when Sean and Alice first dance before her discovery of the bet as he goes to wash up and reconciles with Preston.)
- What's My Age Again?- Blink 182 (Song played at the Prom.)
- Smooth- Santana feat. Rob Thomas (Song played which overtakes the sound as Cavalier and Lexington rob Remington's largest bank and song heard at the Prom.)
- All Star- Smashmouth (Dancefloor song played at the Prom.)
- Mambo #5- Lou Bega (Played at the Prom as the Prom Nominee Girls for 1999 are called out and the girls have to walk down the stage with spotlights upon them. The song also serves as the second and final end credits song.)
- Angel Of Mine- Monica (Heard at the Morway house when Sean and Alice engage in sex in the house basement following Sean taking Alice back to the Remington Roadside Stal-Mart where her mother was shot and killed.)
- Kiss Me- Sixpence None The Richer (Played as Alice comes to Sean, Billy and her dad following the make-over done by Jenny Cummings Sean's ex/childhood bestfriend.)
- Slide- Goo Goo Dolls (Song heard playing on Alice's bedroom window-side radio.)
- She's So High- Tal Bachman (Song played at the Prom.)
- Angel- Sarah McLachlan (Song played as Sean is laying with Alice in the Morway House Basement following the sexual intercourse.)
- Waiting For Tonight- Jennifer Lopez (Song played as Ethan dances with Alice at the Prom following Alice's discovery of the bet.)
- Something Stupid- Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman (Played as Alice comes back to the Prom and her and Sean walk to each other across the dancefloor. Song is also played at Preston's funeral.)
- Strange Condition- Pete Yorn (The Opening song as Sean gets ready in his bedroom and Alice gets ready in hers, Leslie gets ready in his bedroom, Katie Renos gets ready to get on her aircraft, Thief Cavalier opens up a secret room in the shady warehouse, Preston gets his head checked by his mother bedore departing waving to her, Susan zips up her guitar, Carla of the conjoined twins is lying awake with tears in her eyes looking at her and Narla's bedroom wall where the photographs show them and their conjoinment, Ethan in his rich house having circled a guest list pinned to his wall reading party, The Football Team Boys throwing their bags into Lukas' red ute, Hunchbacked Kelli sneaking her way into the school building with the help of principal and librarian whom escort to her to the library, The Obsessed Bestfriend Jimmy titling a cassette tape with Alice Morway and Cassandra Gillies waking up and stepping into fine slippers as she stares at a wardrobe displayed crown to which she becomes angry and upset at.)F