Take A Hit is a 2000 American Drama Romance film written and directed by John Hamburg.
It stars Leonardo Di Caprio, Bob Hoskins, Thandie Newton, Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Pilar Sanders, Hayley Marie Norman, Mos Def, Queen Latifah, Whoopi Goldberg, Glynn Turman, Ossie Davis, Danny Glover, Jeffrey Wright, Larenz Tate, LeVar Burton, Eddie Murphy, Angela Bassett, Chris Rock and Columbus Short.
It concerns a man falling in love with an African American woman in South Central at the time his racist father whom happens to be the leader of a Ku Klux Klan discovers him not to be dead and as to where his locations is along with the company he has fallen into.
The year is 1920 and a man named Hope Davis whom works as a prominent hard-working banker in Bristol loses his job to an African-American man named Harley Finneras whom is given the position for possessing extreme intelligence far beyond Hope's.
Hope the night of his firing retreats to a bar and causes a drunken ruckus regarding racism.
The African-American Patrons of the bar start him in an argument and the Caucasian Patrons whom had been intimidated and hurt frequently by the Black People engaging him stand up and overpower the black people.
They proceed to violently kill the African American patrons with the methods of burning, stabbing, slicing and even nailing one to the wall.
The drunken Hope taking pleasure out of anger takes out the leader of the African American bar patrons as he flamethrows him and watches as he horrifically ablaze jumps out the bar window to his death hitting a water pump outside which explodes and extinqueshes his body.
He then feels remorse for his action but his coaxed by the others into finishing the man nailed upon the wall.
They lead him on with all they do is hurt and take.
Upon stating the take part the man's face becomes that of Harley Finneras and Hope sets his nailed body alight killing him.
They flee as the bar alarm goes off and the police arrive.
Hope returns home to the cheap apartment he broken into and begins to maniacally pace around for hours thinking of what had just transpired.
He continues doing so until the Caucasian patrons of the bar come to the apartment and collect him.
They tell how all around the world the thieving violent black skinned mongrels are stealing from everyone: their jobs, wives, innocence and dignity and yet still be held in higher regard.
The second Ku Klux Klan is formed and they set out for Harley Finneras.
They come to his house where it is dinner time for Harley, his wife and young daughter.
Harley fools around with the home's phonogram and plays Edith Piaf's Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien as he dances with his wife and his young daughter.
Hope and the others are pulled up outside and then enter upon Hope's beginning to flicker upon seeing the family through the dining room window.
They smash on through as Regrette Rien plays loudly and a fight begins between Harley and the Ku Klux Klan invaders.
His wife hits them with silverwear before being seized with a strike to the face.
The little daughter in shock backs up against the phonogram and falls down beside it.
The Klan fails to notice her and she witnesses as they along with Hope murder her mother and father.
The film then goes onto 1946 following the imprisonement and deaths of many of the second Ku Klux Klan Members.
Hope bears a son named Baxter whom fakes his death to escape the third Ku Klux Gang he was raised into.
He moves off to South Central New York U.S.
There he strikes romance with an African American woman named Gildeen Haverlock who spends a Summer of Love with him before bringing him home to meet her family.
The night before the big family introduction gathering Hope shows up at Baxter's door discovering him not to be dead and that he has fallen for an African American Woman.
He puts a hit on her head.
He then discovers in the big square off war which happens between his gang and her family that she is indeed the granddaughter of Harley Finneras' daugther Eileen and great granddaughter of Harley himself.
He then announces the whole family will be killed along with his own son.
The film ends with the third Ku Klux Klan being wiped out by the different members of the family including Eillen, Gildeen and Baxter himself before Hope comes around and wishes to make amends.
He is however gunned down by Eileen who has failed to forgive him for the murder of her mother and father.
In the process of shooting him before Gildeen, Baxter and the rest of the Finneras/Haverlock family at the Haverlock residence Hope finds time in defence to draw his stashed pistol and fire twice at her.
Gildeen seperates for Grandma Eileen as Baxter goes to his father as the two are dying quickly and bleeding heavily.
The two die in the opposite two's arms.
Seeing this the family forbid Gildeen from being with Baxter stating it will never be ended him having a security pistol stashed away in his jacket proves the point.
The two falsely state they will end their love but the day come the return of Gildeen's fiance whom had been away on a trip and was to return for their wedding the two have run off.
Gildeen whilest her fiance is positioned at the altar of the Haverlock Backyard Wedding receives a note from Gildeen stating that he has been good to her and will like her find true love.
There are also notes ladened to all the guest tables and the bridal table which goodbyes to all that she leaving in the favour of love.
The Groom's father approaches Mr and Mrs. Haverlock regarding Gildeen's take-off stating seeing as they stated she was conveniantly locked in her room by them with no means of escape one of the family so conveniantly let her go free and cause this debacle.
The Groom approaches angry at his father for knowing Gildeen had been having an affair and that he didn't tell him.
Mrs. Haverlock reveals herself as the one who released Gildeen and let her take-off.
Mr. Haverlock becomes enraged at her stating that what she has done is wrong and and a betrayal.
She states as a simple reply that she did it in the favour of love.
The camera shot starts as a close-up on Mrs. Haverlock as she smiles and looks upward to the left with wedding guests and family members running behind her.
The close up of her fades away to the night of the release which shows her unlock the room for Gildeen and sneak her out. Then shows Gildeen run to Baxter's apartment where he has two bus tickets he had prepared for them to take off to Boston with.
She comes to the Bus Stop at the last minute near his apartment and gets on with the ticket he provides to the driver.
The two engage in a big long hug before the bus drives off and the next shot broadcasts the two sitting together embraced as they look out the window which desolves to Mrs. Haverlock pulling out a bundle of letters from under Gildeen's bed which are addressed to the Groom and the family.
The final shots come back to Mrs. Haverlock at the Haverlock Residence backyard where she goes from looking left upward to straight ahead at the framed photographs of Hope Davis and Eileen which had been set up on a table.
- Leonardo Di Caprio as Baxter Davis
- Bob Hoskins as Hope Davis
- Thandie Newton as Gildeen Haverlock
- Samuel L. Jackson as Mr. Kevin Haverlock
- Morgan Freeman as Uncle Reginald "Reggie" Haverlock
- Pilar Sanders as Mrs. Kerry Haverlock
- Hayley Marie Norman as Waitress Kilawah Sandras
- Mos Def as Uncle Norman Haverlock
- Queen Latifah as Lesbian South Central Cloth Maker Miranda Milles
- Whoopi Goldberg as Lesbian South Central Cook Macy Nevington
- Glynn Turman as Gangster Florist Betting/ The Florist for the Gildeen - Carter Wedding
- Ossie Davis as Junebug Rolling
- Danny Glover as Harley Finneras
- Jeffrey Wright as Wandin Brockerberry/ The Haverlock Family Lawyor
- Larenz Tate as Petey Burkleman/ Baxter's South Central Bestfriend and Apartment Roommate
- LeVar Burton as Geckledin Borialis/ Petey's abusive stepbrother/ Drug dealer of Norman Haverlock
- Eddie Murphy as Jokerman Ketty/ Haverlock Family Friend
- Angela Bassett as Laranda Ketty/ Haverlock Family Friend/ Her mother served as carer for Eileen
- Chris Rock as Jandine Carmen/ Professional South Central Pick-Pocket and friend of Baxter's
- Columbus Short as Gocko Morloto/ Professional South Central Side-Stepper and friend of Baxter's
- Charles S. Dutton as Diamond Morloto/ Professional South Central Master of Disguise Thief, Older brother to Gocko and friend to Baxter
- Djimon Housnou as Carter Blackberry/ The Fiance
- CCH Pounder as Eileen Finneras
- Viola Davis as Martha Finneras
- Hayden Christensen as Gavin Norlook/ Ku Klux Klan #3 Member
- Kunal Nayyar as Giancarlo Frederidos/ Ku Klux Klan #3 Member
- Josh Dallas as Carmen Fort/ Ku Klux Klan #3 Member
- Michael Pitt as Creamen Terrence/ Ku Klux Klan #3 Member
- Summer Glau as Candice Treevle/ Ku Klux Klan #3 Member
- Non, Je Ne Regrette Nien- Edith Piaf
- La Vien Rose- Edith Piaf
- Bye Bye- N'Sync
- The Bad Touch- The Bloodhound Gang
- I Try- Macy Gray
- Absolutley (Story of a Girl)- Nine Days
- Beautiful Day- U2
- Wonderwall- Oasis
- Drops of Jupiter- Train