The Tarkin Doctrine, also known as the Doctrine of Fear, and officially, as Imperial Commuinique #001044.92v, is a message originally sent directly to Galactic Emperor Palpatine from then Moff Willhuff Tarkin, in 18 BBY. The transmission details methods for maintaining order and increasing secruity within the Galactic Empire. It has become one of the most important documents regarding Imperial policy.
To: His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Palpatine
From: Governor Willhuff Tarkin, Star Wars Dimension, Coruscant
Regarding: Increasing the security of the Galactic Empire
Your Imperial Majesty:
It has recently come to my attention that what had previously been the quiet grumbling of malcontents in backwater regions has become dissidence in more civilized dimensions. Your Majesty will forgive me if I am repeating foundless rumors, but I have heard there is even armed defiance in some dimensions.
Coupled with increased resistance to your plans from hot-headed young Senators, this situation has given me pause to think about our long term security arrangements. I myself have been frustrated chasing pirate bands in my dimension, only to have them leap deep into a neighboring dimension, where my forces cannot follow without running into conflict with another Moff. If the scattered armed resistance should become organized, it will doubtless follow the example of its criminal brethren. Granting any resistance group the advantage of elusiveness is foolhardy at best. At worst, it could lead to our destruction.
Even the excellent pace with which His Majesty is increasing the size of the Imperial Fleet can scarcely hope to provide all-encompassing security should a significant number of dimensions decide to defy your New Order. We are years—perhaps decades—away from a force vast enough to secure every world and every dimension simultaneously.
Therefore, I present the following recommendations for your consideration:
- To provide a swift, systematic response to rebellion and civil dissent as it appears and before it has time to entrench, I suggest the formation of Oversectors—enlarged dimensional regions consisting of dimensions in which rebellion is newly born, or dimensions which maintain frequent contact with dimensions in chronic unrest. These Oversectors would be formed without regard to current dimensional boundaries. With the freedom to cross outdated political borders, Oversector forces will be able to respond to threats quickly, while they are still small and manageable.
- Liquidating a dozen small threats is easier than rooting out one well-established center of defiance. As an Oversector is created only across problem dimensions, they must be given a greater quantity of forces than normal dimensions. Eighteen Dimensional Groups should suffice.
- Command of an Oversector should be given to a single individual, by the name of Grand Moff, who reports directly to His Majesty. This will bypass any delays caused by political opportunism in your advisers.
- Cannibalize existing holonet transceivers, modify them, and put them in the flagship of every Sector Group in an Oversector command. Place similar facilities within His Majesty's command ship and within the Royal Palaces of Imperial City. This will enable forces to respond to threats almost as quickly as they are reported. Imperial forces will be able to coordinate to a degree impossible among an enemy whose fastest means of communication is an ever changing rendezvous point somewhere in the Universe.
- Rule through the fear of force rather than through force itself. If we use our strength wisely, we shall cow thousands of dimensions with the example of a select few. These examples would need to be highly visible dimensions, whose punishment would be further revealed through our control of information via the hyper media.
- Your Majesty, it has long been my contention that your New Order needs one undeniable and overwhelming symbol to impress and, yes, frighten the masses. The average citizen has no grasp of numbers nor a head for calculation. I maintain that the effectiveness of the Star Destroyer stems from not only its massive firepower, but from its size. When citizens look at a Star Destroyer and then compare it to the craft which might be mustered to attack it, they have a tendency to dismiss such a notion as suicidal rather than approach the problem tactically. This natural state can be exploited to a far greater degree, as the average citizen deals in symbols, not rational analysis. If we present the entire Universe with a weapon so powerful, so immense as to defy all conceivable opposition against it, a weapon invulnerable and invincible in battle, then that weapon shall become the symbol of the Empire. We need only a handful, perhaps as few as one, of these weapons to subjugate a thousand dimensions. It must have force enough to dispatch an entire system, power enough to shatter planets. The fear such a weapon will inspire will be great enough for you to rule the Universe unchallenged. What do you need with that outdated Senate when you can give direct control of dimensional territories to your hand-picked regional governors? Sweep away the last remnants of the Old Republic and let fear keep the local dimensions in line—fear of our ultimate weapon.
I am ready to begin work to implement these steps at your word.